From:
Maps-L Moderator for Tsering Wangyal Shawa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:16:49 -0600
Subject:        Re: Map images through an online catalog
Date:   Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:00:44 -0500
From:   Tsering W Shawa ([log in to unmask]) <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]
CC:     Bob Kibbee <[log in to unmask]>

Bob,

In Princeton, all the historical map that we scanned are linked in our main catalog. We use 856 field to insert URL. This will allow patrons to search map by simply typing a word "world map, 1800" or any year and search by Subject heading. Once a map is found (if it is scanned) patron can click on Electronic access link to view the map. We use ERDAS IMAGINE Image Web Server to server JP2 images online.

Thanks,
-Wangyal

Tsering Wangyal Shawa
Geographic Information Systems Librarian
Head, Digital Map and Geospatial Information Center
Peter B. Lewis Library
Fine Hall Wing, B-Level, Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544
Phone: (609) 258-6804
Fax: (609) 258-4607
www.princeton.edu/~geolib/gis