From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 13:58:13 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 08:58:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
To: Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: "Doubly-landlocked countries" (fwd)

By the definition suggested below, I come up with three other 'doubly
landlocked' countries:  two neighbors of Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and
Kirghizstan, and in Europe, Liechtenstein.

I suppose these geographical barriers are no worse than the situation for
Armenia, which while singly rather than doubly landlocked, borders
neighbors with whom its relations are so bad it might as well be double
(Turkey, Azerbaijan, Iran, Georgia).

A more amusing note of geography: while I was looking at maps in the atlas
to examine this question, I saw a feature in Russia north of the Caucasus
Mts and south of the Volga valley.  It's called on this English language
map the Manych Depression.  ;}

Ken Grabach         <[log in to unmask]>
International Documents and Maps Librarian
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA