From:
Ken Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 15:11:22 EST
Paige had some creative ideas on this question.  My own line of
thought on this type of place is to think of them as a kind of "ghost
town"--which is a valid subject heading.  While not the same as a
town that once existed and has lost its population or shrunken to a
"ghost" of its former self, a lot of towns and mining camps in the
California gold rush days existed for such a short time that they
weren't much better than these platted towns in Oregon.  California
had numerous such schemes, as documented in the classic "Historic
Spots in California" by Hoover et al.  In a real sense, they are
"ghosts" esp. if they have appeared on state maps, even when there's
nothing there for the traveler to find.
    Another thought is that these were early versions of today's
PLANNED COMMUNITIES or NEW TOWNS (two more valid subject headings).
They simply didn't get beyond the planning stages.  There are those
that popped up in recent decades in California and elsewhere but
never got very far, and struggle along with a few houses scattered
thinly across the site, restricted perhaps by lack of water and
services.
    Let us all know what you decide on, Peter, it's an interesting
case.    -- Ken R