From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2011 07:51:37 -0500
Subject:        Re: "Natural borders"
Date:   Thu, 3 Nov 2011 13:34:23 -0700
From:   Dyallen2 <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

It should be pointed out that historically and philosophically "natural
borders" is an extremely dubious concept. Borders between states are
always devised by people and do not exist in nature. Is the Rhine River
the "natural border" of France? At various times France has claimed that
river as its natural border, but neighboring states like Germany have
disagreed, to put it mildly. Is a small tributary or a range of hills a
natural border? Efforts were made in the nineteenth century to establish
the border between Maine and Canada using such features, but there was
at best little agreement on what might constitute natural borders in
this area. These problems and inconsistencies could be multiplied many
times over. Under these circumstances, it is simplistic to think that
all of the natural borders in the world could be mapped using GIS or any
other technique.
David Allen
Stony Brook University (retired and cranky)
In a message dated 11/03/11 10:59:22 Pacific Daylight Time,