From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Crotteau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 15:49:24 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 14:17:59 -0600
From: Mark Crotteau <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Map cataloging question <fwd>
Sender: Mark Crotteau <[log in to unmask]>

Scott,

I have hesitated in responding to your question, but upon continued reflection about the problem you pose, I feel that the best solution would be to use a single record for map and text.  Ideally, these two items should be shelved together.  Given the necessity to shelve them separately, however, it should not be necessary to construct two separate records.

In my experience with this type of item I have often found that the purpose of the text is to explain and provide detail concerning the geologic strata displayed on the map.  If the bulk of the text is organized by specific strata and gives descriptions of each, then the item (book + text) should be cataloged on one record as a map.  This would allow the addition of a 246 added title for the text, and item records attached to the bib record can make clear the different locations where the text and map are housed.

If the text is written in such a way as not to be tied to the stratigraphic units displayed on the map, then the map would probably be viewed as the accompanying material to the text, in which case a books format record would be called for.  In any event, I think that one record is preferable to two.  One problem with using two separate records is that the 246 field is no longer appropriate for the title on the other piece, which then becomes a related title and would require a 7xx added entry.

Mark Crotteau
Albertsons Library
Boise State University
Boise, ID  <[log in to unmask]>