From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 12:00:42 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
This message is from Alice Hudson.

-------------------------------
The Moderator adds to the
information below that there are several software packages used to
manage distrbution lists.  The software used for this list when it
started was, I belive, the original listserv software used on Bitnet
and owned by someone at CERN in Europe.  Several other networks and
computer centers developed comparable software that many times were
called listserv.  The original owner of listserv complained,
especially when people said bad things about the listserv software
when they were using a listserv version other than his.  I do not
know the current status of the various versions of list software and
who owns what in the way of registered names.  The Maps-L list
currently uses whatever version of distribution software the computer
center at the University of Georgia mainains.

>Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:24:46 -0400
>From: ahudson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Listserv is a Registered Trademark

fyi, the discussion below about "listserv" as a trademarked term might be of
interest to members on maps-l, maphist and h-urban, so I pass it on for your
delectation. Please do not respond to me or to Don Wood about this. I suggest
not responding at all, just pay attention, ...but if you must, respond to Connie
Newman.

Alice Hudson

>Subject: Listserv is a Registered Trademark
>Author:  Don Wood <[log in to unmask]> at Internet
>Date:    9/30/98 10:56 AM

ALA recently received this message from L-Soft International I thought
you might be interested in

_________

>>> "Connie Newman" <[log in to unmask]> 9/24/98  11:32 am >>>
It has come to our attention that you are using the
term LISTSERV (R) to describe electronic mail
distribution lists on your site,

[specific URL deleted to protect the guilty; there are probably hundreds
of references to "listserv" on the ALA web site]

Unfortunately, that term is a registered trademark.

It is a common mistake to use LISTSERV (R) as a
generic term.  It would be helpful if you would
replace it on your site with another phrase, such as
*mailing list* or *announcement service*.

We apologize if this causes any inconvenience.  Your
attention to this matter is greatly appreciated.

Please contact me with any concerns or questions.

Sincerely,

Connie Newman

Connie Newman <[log in to unmask]>
L-Soft international, Inc.