From:
Mary Yarrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 1995 12:22:33 EDT

Dear MAPS-L recipients:

The following is a list of products showing  when and where daylight  covers
the Earth's
surface and the time.    This list is a compilation of responses to an inquirey
posted over
MAPS-L this past April.   Thank you again for all of the helpful responses.
Good Luck.
Enjoy.

M Yarrington
UWEC

The Sunlit Earth:
1)
A shareware program for IBM compatibles called Geoclock, Probably
available on the commercial BBS systems such as AOL, Compuserve etc.

A computer program named Geoclock.  It used to be shareware, and still may be
in an
abbreviated form, but  is inexpensive to buy.  It shows the Sun moving
across the surface of the Earth and you can specify time of year,
etc.

Currently reviewing "GeoClock" and "GeoGlobe," an integrated,
          modular set of Windows programs by Precision Map Graphics.
          Start-up is $50; fully tricked out is $100. An unbelievable
          bargain. E-mail [log in to unmask] for on-line ordering
          instructions, or write GeoClock, 2218 N Tuckahoe St.,
          Arlington, VA 22205.  Full description is in the current
          "GeoClock News" available from publisher. A great
          (i.e. fun/easy/makes you look smart) package--you'll be
          amazed.
      Version 6.0 is $35 for Geoclock plus $15 for GeoGlobe.
          Supplemental map sets are $40 for all four (essential for
          map libraries). I haven't seen the earlier versions but
          would bet the resolution has improved considerably from
          earlier versions and software exploits faster CPUs;
          it's very quick--I was getting strobe effects when playing
          with the sidereal clock!
2)
A company called Geochron makes quite an
amazing product.  It is a world map that shows the exact coverage of
daylight, every day throughout every year.  It is done with a light behind
the map and somehow it shades the areas of the earth in darkness.  It also
serves as a calender and clock for the entire earth.  It is pretty expensive
but if you ever see one you'll know why. Beautiful wood frame, etc. It really
is amazing.
If you need more information contact Jim Howitt at Latitudes Map & Travel
Store in Mpls. (612) 927-9061.

 Geochron lighted maps (World Time Indicators)  sell in the thousands of
dollars. The
clockwork machinery inside generates a sine-wave shade behind a lit mercator
map. The shade changes shape over the course of the year to reflect the angle
of the sun.

Their contact in the 1994-5 IMTA directory is:

Geochron Enterprises, Inc
899 Arguello St
Redwood City, CA 94063
415-361-1771 * Fax 415-361-1780

Check with a firm called Geochron Enterprises Inc.  (800) 342 1661 or 415
361 1771 for their world clock (technically a map, shows day/night areas).

3)
Small Blue Planet--the Real Picture Atlas, a CD atlas from Now What
Software has a feature called Chronosphere which highlights the patterns
of day and night on a moving map and spinning globe and tells time
and day from where you are to where you want to go.  Costs $59.95.
For more info contact Now What Software, 2303 Sacramento, San Francisco, CA
94115 or (800) 322-1954.  -- Gwen Curtis, Map Collection, Univ. of Kentucky
Libraries, Lexington, KY ([log in to unmask])

4)
  I have seen a number of applications for PC's that show a graphical
  (Mercator) representation of the entire Earth with dynamic night/day
  shadowing and time zones.  These can be found on almost any Bulletin Board
  you can log into.  Many of the names escape me, but the are fairly obvious.

 5)
  The other item you may look for.. For many Unix platforms, there is available
  a very vivid background bitmap called 'xearth', which depicts the earth as
  seen from a geo-synchronous point in space, has time shadowing abd rotates
  according to the date / time set to your system.  The reference point is
   around 30 - 40 degrees longitude.  No country outlines tho.

6)
A globe made by Columbus Verlag Paul Oestergaard in
Berlin/Frankfurt (Germany) in 1981 which contains a
light-mechanism which shows day/night and shadowzones. The
mechanism is a rotating calendar, so you can follow the change in
seasons. The mechanism also contains a small magnifying-glass
which shows the position of the sun with respect to the plane of
the equator. For the moment - 24 April- I can see that the sun
rises some 12-13 degrees North of the equator, crawling slowly to
the Tropic of Cancer, and the North Pole is getting ready for
Midsummernight as light is already 24 hours present above 85
degrees North.
We also have a poster showing the seasons with regard to the sun,
but I find the globe more self-explanatory as the change can be
followed day by day.

Maybe there is an American globe-company which has the same kind
of globes

7)
"World Watch Timepiece for Windows" at @$30.00.  Originally a large stand
alone piece for $2000.00.  This easy-to-read graphic tells you instantly
whichparts of the world are in sunlight and which are in the dark.  Also
works as a screen saver.  We just found out about it and have ordered one
for our public terminal, as this is a frequently asked question.  Also
does time zones.

8)
Rand McNally

One seen on sale in the Philadelphia Rand McNally.  Some of the fancier mail
order catalogs
may have them.

9)
Try Hammacher Schlemmer or/and The Sharper Image for such mechanical maps
One of them had them in their catalogue..

10)
Earth, moon, sun version produced in this century with a miniature
earth globe by Phillips of London & Liverpool.  It was a complex clock-like
mechanism that showed in an analogue way exactly the area of the earth lit at
different times and seasons. The brass rim gave the months of the year.

11)
     XX  Have you sampled?:

     National Atlas Information Service  XX  NAIS on the Web URL:

   XX  http://www-nais.ccm.emr.ca/
   XX  National Atlas maps; Geographic Names
   XX  'Make a map'; Quizzes, etc., etc.
                                    XX