From:
Jim Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 12:16:50 EST
Alice and ya'll,

At SMS, we have a remote storage facility a mile away, where maps are stored
on industrial shelving 8' high.  The shevling units are placed 'back-to-back'
creating a shelf about 2' wide.  There are 6 shelves in a unit.  At this point,
nothing is barcoded, but there are records for the stuff in our online catalog,
with "Maps Collection-storage" as a location.  The maps are in call number
order on the shelves.  They're not in boxes or anything, but we do turn the
top sheet of each stack upside down.

Hope this helps.

Jim Coombs
Map Librarian