From:
Alice Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 1995 08:53:03 EDT
     I thought this might interest some maps-lers. Alice H

     ---from my next fave listserve, H-Urban, but then, I am in NYC!.

Subject: Re: News: exhibition on Sprawl-The City as the Largest Manma
Author:  Wendy Plotkin <[log in to unmask]> at Internet
Date:    7/13/95 4:11 PM

Posted by Amanda Seligman <[log in to unmask]>

I am inclined to agree with the spirit of John Treacy's comments about
farms as created objects--though I would broaden this out to the
American landscape as made over by the gridiron system.

The books which have helped me best understand that what we see "out
there" beyond the city limits is neither fully natural nor inevitable
include:

Hildegard Binder Johnson, ORDER UPON THE LAND: THE US RECTANGULAR LAND
SURVEY AND THE UPPER MISSISSIPPI COUNTRY (New York:  Oxford University
Press, 1976)

John Brinkerhoff Jackson, AMERICAN SPACE:  THE CENTENNIAL YEARS, 1865-1867
(New York:  WW Norton & Company, 1972)

John R. Stilgoe, COMMON LANDSCAPE OF AMERICA, 1580-1845, (New Haven:  Yale
University Press, 1982).

Amanda

************************************

Amanda Seligman
Harris Hall 202
Department of History
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL  60208

[For a copy of Amanda Seligman's survey, send e-mail to listserv@uicvm
or [log in to unmask] with the message: GET SELIGMAN SURVEY ]

The earlier discussion on this is available by sending e-mail to
listserv@uicvm or [log in to unmask] with the message:
GET BEYOND SPRAWL

Here is what John Treacy had to say: