From:
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2013 09:39:25 -0500
Subject:        Fwd: OCR and GIS clarification of needs
Date:   Tue, 1 Oct 2013 10:37:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:   Paige G. Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

All,
I received a direct email with a request for more context about our
upcoming project needs related to our PA Sanborn maps collection.
Stephen provided the following (see below) more-detailed information to
his original question (and thanks Matt K. for your quick reply on here,
I passed it on to Stephen and since it sounds exactly like what he is
after don't be surprised if he contacts you directly soon):
What I'm inquiring about is the use of OCR to capture the shapes or
polygons on a map [in this case the Sanborn Flood Insurance Maps] as
well as the "position" of those polygons in relationship to one another
so that they could be pulled into ArcGIS or some other spatial analysis
tool.

In sum, a short cut from having the user go into the tiff file and
"trace" all the polygons.  My apologies for those who are GIS experts
for my inability to speak GIS (smile).

Hope that makes sense, Stephen