From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2014 12:18:39 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Cahill, Colleen [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2014 11:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Large format scanners

Margaret,

 In the Geography & Map Division of the Library of Congress, we currently have 3 large format scanners.  Two are Digibook scanners, an SupraScan A0 (http://www.i2s-digibook.com/products/digitize/suprascan-a1-book-sccanner/suprascan-quartz-a0-hd/) and  a  SupraScan 2XA0 (http://www.i2s-digibook.com/products/digitize/suprascan-a1-book-sccanner/suprascan-2a0/).  These are used for most of the scanning of in house projects and have a great deal of flexibility, as we can scan maps, atlases and even some 3-D objects.

We also have Contex HD5450 sheet feed scanner (http://support.contex.com/Default.aspx?ID=11085), which we use with mylar for 20th/21th century materials.

In the case of all scanners, we use the software that comes with the scanner for capture, but have turned off all sharpening and other image adjustment.  We then process the images using Adobe Photoshop, where as necessary we rotate, crop the images, and do minor lightness and sharpening to optimize the image for web viewing.

  We have found the Digibook scanners to be very user friendly and can train someone to use them in an hour.

  With our Digibooks, we have a maintenance contract with Iimage Retrieval (http://www.iiri.com/) and our experience is very positive.  We are just starting to use the Contex, so I can say less about this.

  After 15+ years of scanning, I am still pleased with the Digibook and our initial work with the Contex is also very favorable.

Please feel free to contact me is you have more questions.

Colleen

Colleen R. Cahill
Digital Conversion Coordinator and
    Recommending Officer for Fantasy and Science Fiction Geography & Map Division Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave. SE
Washington, DC 20540-4650
W: 202-707-8540
Fax: 202-707-8531