From:
Debbie Lords <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 1994 16:48:16 EST
Chris,
        Are you "married" to the idea of a PC application or is
Mac acceptable?  I just went to a demo of a sweet little system
marketed by COMPanion.  We didn't look at maps specifically,
but having looked at several systems, I was VERY impressed with
the ease and friendliness of COMPanion's Alexandria system.  It
DOESN'T require that the cataloger (note that I don't specify
librarian here) speak MARC fluently.  It combines significant
simplicity with incredible flexibility.
        If you want more information, their toll free number is:
                1-800-347-6439
The fellow who gave the demonstration is David Madsen.  They have
a demo disk available.

DATATREK
To answer your question about DataTrek, I got to watch (and help)
the installation at Novell's Provo office. (The librarian is a
friend of mine and was gracious about my interest in the process).
Installation was not as simple as we thought it would be.  The documentation
for that is somewhat confusing and we had to fiddle with the config.sys
and autoexec.bat on her system to get available memory to acceptable
levels.  Installation took 5 hours and we had one of Novell's
engineers doing the actual work.  In trouble at one point, we called
DataTrek's Technical Support line.  Installing?  Oh, you need an
appointment to have Tech Support for an installation problem.  So much
for Tech Support.  They did answer our question, but between myself
and Novell's engineer, we'd already figured it out.

She has been using the system for a while and it is not seeing her
subject headings but it is accepting downloaded records from LC's
CD-ROM.  Not many maps on that product, though.  I will pass your
message on to her so that she can give you a full(er) view.

Debra Lords
Marriott Library
University of Utah
Salt Lake City,  UT  84112