From:
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 15:39:29 EDT
7 messages.-----------Johnnie

>Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 16:50:52 -0700
>From: Carol Marley <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Methods for displaying maps.

Hi Wehn we contructed a new envl sci. library which encompassed the former
map library, our architect suggested magnetic rods- they are rather thin
plastic strips, off white in our case to match our walls- you run the
strips along the wall, then cut up blocks to hold the maps in place. No
holes, no fuss, if you run two strips parallel to heac other, no flapping
in the wind.

Sorry that I can't give name of the company that makes them- I am away on
sabbatic leave, but I would imagine any architectural firm would have a
notion. Carol Marley, McGill University

At 04:16 PM 6/2/1998 EDT, you wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I'd be grateful for any advice on how to temporarily display maps on
>a wall, without resorting to pins, adhesive, or any other method that
>has the potential to damage the map.
>
>Is it possible to buy a product similar to photo corners -
>something that can be slipped over the corner of a map and then
>pinned to the wall?
>
>Thanks in anticipation.
>

>Janet Bray
>Map Librarian
>Department of Geography
>University of Canterbury
>Private Bag 4800
>Christchurch
>New Zealand
>
>Tel.: 03 3642 904
>Fax.: 03 3642 907

>From: [log in to unmask] (Rodney Fry)
>Subject: Methods for Displaying Maps

Hi,
In answer to your query about displaying maps there is a company in the UK
called Ultralon who market a Poster Holder in three sizes 60cm, 120cm, and
240cm. According to their leaflet it will support posters, pictures and
presumably maps without pin damage. The poster slides up into the wallfixed
rail and is supported securely, yet is easy to detach without tearing. The
rail is strong enough to support hooks for coats and framed pictures. The
price of the 240cm rail is approx 50 pounds Sterling (plus export charges)
I stress that I have no experience of this product but if anyone would like
the address, phone number,etc of the company please mail me direct.

Rodney Fry

Rodney Fry                                     [log in to unmask]

Department of Geography                        Tel 01392 263248
University of Exeter
EX4 4RJ, UK

>Date: Wed, 03 Jun 98 09:40:54
>From: "Herbert, Francis" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re; Methods for displaying maps

     Janet Bray
     Map Librarian, Dept of Geogr.
     Univ. of Christchurch
     NZ

     Maybe I was the only reader who was a little puzzled by your request?
     You write that you wish to display maps "without resorting to pins" -
     and then ask for ideas on a product that can be added to the map's
     corners "and then pinned to the wall"!

     On the assumption that there is some kind of board fixed already to
     the wall(s) in question, may I suggest what we do in the RGS for
     displaying maps - both for our 'Maps of the News' board outside the
     Map Room and for the regular Monday evening Lectures in the Lecture
     Theatre?   We 'fix' the map(s) by using the broad head of the drawing
     pin to hold down the map's edge: thus the point of the pin is never
     put through map material.  Nothing revolutionary - just a 'variation
     on a theme'.

     Sincerely
     Francis Herbert (Curator of Maps, RGS, London)

>Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 09:36:45 -0700
>From: Patricia Antrim <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Methods for displaying maps.

Janet, I've displayed smaller maps between two
layers of Mylar for wall displays. You can stick
they map between the Mylar, then tack the edges
of the Mylar together with pieces of double-stick
tape strategically placed to dissuade the map
from sliding around or tilting, but you don't
have to tape or pin the map itself.

Pat

Phone: (660) 543-8515
FAX :  (660) 543-8001
e-mail [log in to unmask]
http://library.cmsu.edu/paa/homepage.htm

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Tue, 02 Jun 98 14:27:29 -0800
>Subject: Re: Methods for displaying maps.

     I seem to recall that art supply stores sell a putty-like adhesive
     that has the ability to hold posters, maps, etc. to a wall; you roll
     it up into a ball and then squish it between the wall and the back of
     your map.
     Otherwise, I'd go for pins/thumbtacks if you're going into soft
     drywall; damage is not that bad.

     - PML

>Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 18:25:03 -0400
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: RE: Methods for displaying maps.

   From my experience of aeons ago, use a mylar envelope and put the tacks
through the mylar.  You may have to make hour own if the map sheet is larger
than existing envelopes.

                     J. B. Post

>Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 23:03:37 -0400
>From: fred schaff <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Methods for displaying maps.

        Not a librarian but I have a suggestion that might work.

        Simply, take a piece of plywood or equivalent and an equal sized piece of
Plexiglass or regular glass both as large as the larest map that you plan
to display. Hinge the two together on the bottom, use some sort of clamp on
the top which also has hooks or equivalent to attach to wall. Sandwich your
maps between the two and display as long as you wish without damage and
with protection from fingers/sunlight/etc.

Fred Schaff, Spring Grove, PA, USA, <[log in to unmask]>

PS: There are "glues" like the cyanoacrilates that, when well clamped, will
bond to glass successfully.