From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:50:35 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 11:54:06 -0500 (EST)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: re:cataloguing conundrum
Sender: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>

Many thanks to all who responded to my query.  I learned something from
you all, and figured out some things, as well.

I learned how to keep a complex record concise yet accurate in its
description.  I learned again what great colleagues participate on this
forum, too!

I figured out first that Peru is in the Southern Hemisphere (thanks for
not pointing out that obvious error on my part).  Peru is south of Ecuador
(duh!).

However, the error that I first described, on one map in this pair shows
the latitude as increasing in opposite directions on left and right hand
sides of this map.  That one is real, not imagined.  Realizing my own
error allowed for a far shorter note to describe this!

Also, I have a new, very large size wall map of Peru, which helped me to
determine what the true coordinates error actually are, without having to
perform calculations that would have been far beyond me.  I think the
numbers are accurate, they just got printed in the wrong sequence.

I can well understand why nobody had yet catalogued this map, yet.
Although it is also possible that few libraries have bought it.  It's
Camino Inka =Inca Trail, ..., from Editorial Lima 2000.  I purchased it
from Treaty Oak.  Despite the little error, it's a fine map if you have
archeological studies interested in Andean antiquities, or have people
interested in hiking in the Andes.

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA
--- End Forwarded Message ---