From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Campbell, Tony
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 16:34:26 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 16:33:04 -0000
From: "Campbell, Tony" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: 'Map History' restructuring
Sender: "Campbell, Tony" <[log in to unmask]>

         [posted to lismaps, MapHist, Maps-L]

When 'Map History / History of Cartography: THE Gateway to the Subject' was
set up over four years ago a division between 'Real World' and 'Web
Resources' made sense.  Now, the time has come for a change.  I propose to
restructure the site.

The changes will mostly affect the Homepage <http://ihr.sas.ac.uk/maps/> and
specifically the Menu down the left-hand side.  A few pages will be merged,
but as far as possible URLs will not be changed and, when they are, a
forwarding message will be left.

I give below the *provisional* list of new headings.  I really would be most
grateful to any of you who can spare the time to look at them, and perhaps
comment.   I want to be sure that the headings chosen are completely clear,
because visitors to a site spend very little time looking at menus.  The
Homepage design will not be altered, so any heading has to be quite short.

I am not convinced that all of the suggested headings are as good as they
could be.  I am particularly doubtful about "Mailing Lists".  Should it
perhaps be Discussion Groups; Discussion Lists; Internet Lists; or
Listservs?  Which would seem most natural and obvious to you?

And the section under the major heading TEXT.  Is 'Text' the right word to
sum up that group?  It is difficult, when you are close to something, to see
it as it will appear to somebody coming to the site for the first time.

It would probably be best for replies to come to me off-list.

Thank you.

Tony Campbell

Proposed new Main Menu for 'Map History'
Map Collecting
Map Collections
Map Societies
Marketplace
News (sources)
Researchers        {used to be 'Guide to the Subject', i.e. 'D9'}
Web Projects

TEXT:
Bibliography/Reference       {used to be 'Literature'}
Journals
Web articles
What's on the web?

AROUND THE SUBJECT: