From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:29:13 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 16:11:20 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
From: Mark Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Hamilton/Mayline <fwd>
Sender: Mark Thomas <[log in to unmask]>

> Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:06:11 -0600
> From: Jenny Marie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Hamilton/Mayline
>
> Am I right in remembering that Hamilton was purchased by Mayline
> sometime during the 1990s? ... Does their standard product fit
> securely on top of Hamilton equipment?

I've been told that components of the Hamilton 7J series should
interchange (i.e., can stack) with Mayline 7769/7969 series.
Hamilton 6J goes with Mayline 7768/7968
Hamilton 5J goes with Mayline 7767/7967
This is also implied by their printed catalog of 3 years ago. Their
web site didn't have all the detailed measurements and other
information that the catalog does, on last look. These series are
known as the "Hamilton Regular Series" and "Mayline Steel Plan Files"
or "Mayline Interlocking Plan Files" (as opposed to the kinds that
don't have separate bases or tops).

There is also another series of Hamiltons that we have, called the
"Hamilton Unit System" Plan Files, which have catalog numbers in the
1J, 2J, 3J, and 4J series, depending on size, but these are not
interchangeable with the other Hamiltons mentioned above.  The 4J
series is the gigantic oversized files (for 6 feet wide sheets).

I must admit that our old Hamiltons seem to work more smoothly than
our old Maylines (the bearings held up better), and that the
Hamiltons still do have a slight price premium over the same-sized
Maylines, even though made by the same company now.

If the price is right, however, (like free) I'll take any donation
from a campus department. Does anyone have Lyon brand plan files?
Their drawers don't even seem to have ball bearings at all, but still
work smoothly enough for lower use material, and there are fewer
moving parts to wear out so they'll probably outlast the others.

Mark Thomas / Public Documents & Maps / Perkins Library
   Duke University / Durham, NC  27708-0177
      [log in to unmask] / voice: 919-660-5853 / FAX: 919-684-2855
The train ...
        traditional, yet environmentally sound.  --Lisa Simpson
--- End Forwarded Message ---