From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CONNIE MANSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:30:30 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 08:40:06 -0800
From: CONNIE MANSON <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: The GSIS Newsletter has been sent
Sender: CONNIE MANSON <[log in to unmask]>

GSIS members--

I've just e-mailed the PDF of the December 2002 GSIS Newsletter to the e-subscribers.  If you requested it by PDF but haven't received it, please let me know.

This issue includes 2 terrific "Special Features":
=== The 2002 update to the Geoscience Journal Prices. This list tracks the subscription costs for 182 titles from 1998 through 2003, with their percentage change for the last 3 years.  As we know, this list has just been amazingly valuable, as we battle with often outrageous price increases, squeezed budgets, and howling faculty, staff, and students.  This list is only available through GSIS, either at the annual meeting or in the Newsletter.  (Hey, for all you non-GSIS members.... Membership is only $40/year, and this list is worth at least that much!!  It's so easy to join, just go to www.geoinfo.org )

=== USGS Library Scanning Project for 2002, by Nancy Blair (head, USGS Libraries).  At every GSIS meeting there seems to be at least one, blazingly important new development, and (to my mind), this was it for 2002. Scanning/digitizing has become the (current) preservation champion, and the USGS is leading the way with large projects.  This is such an important project, and we're tickled that Nancy wrote about it for this issue.

--Connie Manson, GSIS Newsletter editor

Connie J. Manson
Senior Librarian
Washington Division of Geology and Earth Resources
P.O. Box 47007
1111 Washington S.E., Room 173
Olympia, WA 98504-7007
ph: 360/902-1472; fax: 360/902-1785