From:
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2011 12:23:12 -0500
Subject: Re: coin operated lockers for  libraries
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 10:41:04 -0600
From: Chris 'Xenon' Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

> Sorry for the non-mappish question but is anyone using coin operated
> lockers for patrons in their reading rooms?
> Our current lockers are operated by keys but patrons sometimes forget to
> turn in the keys.

   What if you used a magstripe card-reader? This could be a library
card, or you could
even make it read any kind of unique magstripe card they might have on
them like a drivers
license, credit card or grocery store loyalty card. If anyone didn't
have one of those,
you could keep a pile of disposable (like hotel room keys) magstripe
cards that you could
give them and not worry if they returned them (just like a hotel).

   The system could be entirely self-serve. If it's "unlocked", then
successfully running
any magstripe card through the reader will lock it and remember that
card until the same
card is run again, at which point it unlocks, forgets the card and goes
back to looking
for a new card to lock it.

   Obviously it could remember a "master key" card for unlocking by staff.

   The equipment to do this would be trivial and probably fairly cheap.

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. [log in to unmask]
http://www.alphapixel.com/