From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 11:37:22 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 10:20:16 +1000
From: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: "Doubly-landlocked countries" (fwd)

>Another odd question:  I was asked what the term "doubly-landlocked"
>means.  This person heard it in the context of there being only two
>countries in the world that are "doubly-landlocked," one of
>them being Uzbekistan.*  My only idea is that it means you have to
>traverse two countries to reach the sea from these countries.  Anyone
>else have insight on this term?
>(* Deliberately left the other out; trivia quiz: name the other
>"doubly-landlocked nation!)   --- Ken Rockwell, U of U, Utah, USA

In other words, the landlocked country is surrounded by countries that are
themselves landlocked. Liechtenstein being the other (Switz and Austria
surrounding it). Uzbekistan joins the Caspian though. Does this count as
Sea? or as a large 'lake'? There are canals through to the Black Sea and
hence the high seas. A question I have been pondering is does the Caspian
count as sea, or would Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan and Kazakstan also count as
landlocked? And is there any 'high seas' on the Caspian? I think Iran is
the only one not wanting to divvy the whole sea up.
The only other pseudo-example is the Hopi nation in Az. enclaved by the
Navajo nation, enclaved by the US.

Brendan Whyte
U of Melbourne, Australia