From:
Joe Crotts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 14:09:03 EST
We weighed some very heavily stuffed 5 drawer Hamiltons and came up with a
case total of 500 lbs.
To: Multiple recipients of list MAPS-L
From: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum on Fri, Nov 22, 1996 10:08 AM
Subject: Map Case Weight

5 messages.--------------------------Johnnie

Moderator Note:  I would like to add a little warning about the case weight
loads found in the literature.  They are mainly averages done with a specific
number of maps per drawer, usually the recommended 200 sheets.  Actual maximum
load can be higher.  Here at Georgia I have five high case stacks and some
archival storage stacks with over 12,000 maps per standard case stack
footprint
The cases with the NOAA charts are well over 300 lb/sq ft.  Jim Minton at
Tennessee has given me figures of over 340 lb for some of his case stacks.

Johnnie Sutherland
University of Georgia

>Date:         Thu, 21 Nov 96 09:11:43 EST
>From:         Helen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Map Case Weight
>To:           [log in to unmask]

The question concerning map and map case weights was addressed in a classic
article by Catherine Bahn, Library of Congress Geography and Map Division.  It
originally appeared in the Special Libraries Association, Geography and Map
Division "Bulletin" No.46 (1961), pp.3-17.  It was later reprinted in "MAP
LIBRARIANSHIP: Readings" compiled by Roman Drazniowsky and published in 1975.
Both are titled "Map Libraries--Space and Equipment"  The map space estimates
were also addressed in "MAP LIBRARIANSHIP: Readings" by Mary Galneder, Univ-
ersity of Wisconsin in her article "Storage and Preservation".  Mary's
article was reprinted from "Special Libraries" vol.61, no.6(1970). pp.271-274.
In "Map Librarianship", Mary Larsgaard" cites these article but does not
reprint any of the information.

The article by Catherine Bahn was been extremely useful to many map
librarians.
It has a number of well organized tables that can help one to quickly answer
a potential map space or map case weight problem.  There are a number of
map libraries in New York state which should have either the journal and/or
the Drazniowsky book.

HelenJane Armstrong, Head Map & Imagery Library, University of Florida

>Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 16:18:03 -0800 (PST)
>From: Frances Woodward <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Map case weight (fwd)

I was looking for this recently, as there is a question of the map
library being moved to an area which we don't think has adequate floor
load capacity.  Here are a few references:
        Beverly CHEN, "Map library design: guidelines, ideas, tips
         and pitfalls," ACMLA Bulletin, no. 89 (Dec. 1993);
        Catherine BAHN, "Map libraries - space and equipment," SLA
         G&M Division Bulletin, no. 46 (Dec. 1961);
        Mary GALNEDER, "Equipment for map libraries," Special Libraries,
         v. 61 no. 6 (1970).
I would be interested in adding additional references if anyone has some
at hand.
Good luck.
        Fran

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Kathryn Womble wrote:

> Someone in my library forwarded this to me and I can't answer it. Anyone
> else?  Kathryn

Frances Woodward, Special Collections & University Archives Division,
Main Library, University of British Columbia, 1956 Main Mall, Vancouver,
B.C. V6T 1Z1
Tel: (604) 822-2819  Fax: (604) 822-9587  E-mail: [log in to unmask]

>Date: Thu, 21 Nov 96 09:16:14 CST
>From: "Arlyn Sherwood" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Map case weight (fwd)

There's been a lot of literature over the years on moving map collections,
especially in the SLA G&M Bulletin, which probably gives this figure. But our
stacks, which includes the map cabinet rooms, were built to the spec of being
able to hold 200 pounds per square foot, I think, and we're still on the 3rd
and
4th floors after 6 years.

>Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 13:12:00 -0800
>Subject: Re: Map case weight (fwd)

KI--i answered her direct (i.e. fill one drawer with maps, take them to a
scale, weigh yourself holding the maps, then subtract your weight,
multiply net times number of drawers. add cabinet weight as given by
manufacturer. divide total by footprint to get lds/sq ft--this is max
value; actually load is spread over the entire map area).

because of needed drawer clearances, it was impossible for us to exceed
modern standard bldg specs for load with map cases. microfilm/microfiche
cabinets, on the other hand, were way over the limits.

LC