From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:08:17 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 23:09:04 -0400
From: Nat Case <[log in to unmask]>
To: maps-l <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Queen cities (geotrivia)

I just had an editing question come up in regards to "queen cities", which
in US usage are cities which are the largest in their state, but are not the
state capital. Is there an equivalent usage in other countries or languages?

Just for fun, I compiled a list of US queen cities. There were several
surprises, including some pretty recent population shifts (Just 20 years
ago, Bismarck (N Dakota) beat Grand Rapids, and Cleveland (Ohio) beat
Columbus).

Here's the list of current queen cities:

Alaska-Anchorage
California-Los Angeles
Connecticut-Bridgeport
Florida-Miami