From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wishard, Lisa A
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 11:39:14 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 08:35:25 -0600
From: "Wishard, Lisa A" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: call off the hounds!
Sender: "Wishard, Lisa A" <[log in to unmask]>

Thanks to Susan Peschel and a colleague of hers to whom she sent my request
regarding the star charts the mystery has been solved! For those of you who
are curious here's the answer:

The left-hand image is a plate showing the south celestial ("coelestiall")
hemisphere, taken from a planisphere attributed to James Barlow, ca. 1790,
London.  The illustration you copied is taken from Carole Stott's pretty &
useful book "Celestial Charts; Antique Maps of the Heavens," where it lies
on pages 100-101.  My copy of this book is published by Smithmark
Publishers, with a copyright date of 1995 and an ISBN 0-8317-1322-4.
(Smithmark appears to be doing the US co-pub edition of a work originally
by Studio Editions, London; Stott is British.)

The right hand image is plate 32 from a work called "Urania's Mirror."  It
was published in London around 1825 by Samuel Leigh in the form of a set of
hand-painted cards showing the constellations; stars are shown by
punched-through holes in the cards.  This reproduction also comes from the
Stott book, page 111.  The set of cards was recently (1993) republished by
Little, Brown as "The Box of Stars," by Catherine Tennant.

Thanks all for making such a wonderful community to which we can all turn
for help.

Thanks,

Lisa Wishard
Technical Library