From:
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1993 14:40:25 EST
Here are 7 messages answering the question about a source for Virginia Air
Photos.  ------------Johnnie

-------------------------------

      31 Mar 1993 15:29:16 U
      "Joe Crotts" <[log in to unmask]>
         RE: Buying US air photos?

Inquire at you county planning office.  Most have aerial photos and can supply
the name of private companies who specialize in specific regions and states.
Most government agencies contract with and/or purchase these (usually fairly
small) flying outfits that specialize in aerial photography.

      Wed, 31 Mar 93 16:18:14 PST
      [log in to unmask] (franklin j)
         Re:  Buying US air photos?

        I don't think there is any government agency that has what you
want. The country has been covered by ariel photography but it is high
altitude coverage. You could get the Yellow Pages for that region and contact
a commercial outfit in the region. They will sometimes sell copies of photos
from previous flights at a substantial reduction compared to contracting
a flight.
                Jack Hurlbut

              Wed, 31 Mar 93 23:42:31 PST
              Dave Gomberg <GOMBERG@UCSFVM>
              Re: Buying US air photos?

There is a US government agency(?) in South(?) Dakota(?) that sells
aeriel photos very economically.  Something like $7 for b/w.  Maybe
someone else can fill in the details on who this is.  If not, you
might try NOAA?

Dave Gomberg, role model for those who don't demand much in their fantasy lives
GOMBERG@UCSFVM  Internet node UCSFVM.UCSF.EDU                     fax-> 7797
Seven Gateview Court, San Francisco CA 94116-1941      voice-> (415)731-7793

      Thu, 1 Apr 93 08:07:16 EST
      [log in to unmask] (B W Moll)
         Re: Buying US air photos?

Glenn-

Probably the first place to start is with the Virginia State Government . . .
Look in two places, first with the Highway Department, or with a Department
of Natural Resources . . . with either one, you should ask for a mapping
department, a geography department, or the people who deal with GIS and
aerial mapping . . . usually, start with the general phone# for the agency
and then ask questions . . . sooner or later someone will know how to help
you . .

Good Luck

Brent-

disclaimer:  The views represented here are my own.  Any similarity
between my views and the views of my employer is purely coincidence.

Brent W. Moll                   Internet [log in to unmask]
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge TN                    Phone: 615-574-6335 (USA)

      01 Apr 1993 08:16:58 -0500 (EST)
         Re: Buying US air photos?

Hi,
   You should check into the May 1992 issue of PHOTOGRAMMETRIC ENGINEERING
& REMOTE SENSING, which lists a number of aerial photography firms.  There
is a geographic index in the back, so you could find those in VA.  If you
want to give me a call, or write here, I can refer you to one or two if
that's all you need.  As for expense, you'd have to check with the individual
companies.  The directory issue of PE&RS is published annually, and the new
one will be out in May of this year.  It goes for $25 to non-members and
extra copies are $15 to members of the American Society for PHotogrammetry
and Remote Sensing.
   Don Hemenway, ASPRS ph. 301-493-0290

      01 Apr 1993 08:48:00 -0500 (EST)
      "Jim Minton (615) 974-4315, X3878" <[log in to unmask]>
         RE: Buying US air photos?

        Glenn and MAPS-L,

        Aerial photographs of Virginia:  Contact Virginia USGS state ESIC
        office at:

                Virginia Dept. of Mines, Minerals, & Energy
                Div. of Mineral Resources
                Natural Resources Bldg.
                Box 3667
                Charlottesville, VA 22903
                (804) 293-5121 FAX (804) 293-2239

                Chris Devan - contact person

        James O. Minton
        Cartographic Information Center

          Thu,  1 Apr 1993 09:09 EST
          <GKROHN@USGSRESV>
          RE: Buying US air photos?

Contact the Reston ESIC at 1-800-USA-MAPS. we will need a map and other detailed
desrcription to offer you choices. Just call them and ask for the form
"how to obtain Aerial Photography' and return the completed form to them.