From:
DEBBIE LORDS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1993 17:26:17 EDT
The NSF is planning to replace librarians.  Much recent funding of projects
is aimed at that very plan.  This is not paranoia on my part.  I was told
that by an officer of the NSF at a conference last spring.  Upon learning I
am a librarian, the man said that NSF funded research was going to replace
librarians soon so they wouldn't be needed anymore.  He then went on and on
about research funded here at the U of U that was making major progress in
that direction.  NSF, with ARPA and NASA are now accepting proposals for up
to 6 research projects to receive up to $1.2 million per year for projects of
up to 4 years in duration to design and build digital libraries.  DO NOT BE
FOOLED INTO THINKING THIS CAN'T BE ACHEIVED.  It IS being achieved AND with
very limited (if any) librarian involvement.  And what I have seen scares the
beans out of me because of the lack of librarian involvement.  The classic CS
mistakes are very prevalent.

If anyone is interested in receiving a copy of the resquest for proposals
(RFP), I'll be happy to pass it on through personal e-mail.  I would have
posted it here already, but I wasn't sure how many of you received it through
other lists.  I defer to those wiser than I to determine if the RFP should be
posted here.

Debra Lords
Marriott Library
University of Utah