From:
Ross Togashi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 09:17:19 EDT
Greetings,
We took into account several things in deciding how much to
charge for oversize photocopies when we first got our machine
almost 2 years ago.  As Paul L. mentioned, getting an idea of
how much local copy service business are charging should be
investigated.  Here in Honolulu, it was around $1.25/linear ft.
(less for self service).

As we were renting the photocopier in hopes of providing a
self-supporting service (money collected from the photocopying
would "pay for" the costs involved in running the machine), we
also examined how much it would really cost having the machine,
including the rental charges, paper and toner, and the service
contract.

We also kept in mind that providing the staff to provide this
service would cost money in his/her time spent actually doing
the copy for the patron.  Having to stand infront of the
copier making 50 copies of some DMA nauticals for some yachty,
you realize this quickly if that wasn't put into the formula.

In the end we decided on charging $5.00/copy.  On larger orders
of if we are very busy, we have them pickup the next day.  And
for just a single copy or two, we usually can do as they wait.
This oversize copy service has been self-supporting.  We have
been breaking-even (no profit) for the past 2 years.  We are
happy, and the patrons are happy.

Aloha,
Ross Togashi
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Hamilton Library - Map Collection        no spam comment.