From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2010 08:39:30 -0600
Subject:        Re: High-accuracy GPS
Date:   Wed, 15 Dec 2010 01:20:20 EST
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask]

I have a simple suggestion. Sounds almost too simple but has worked for
me. I map individual gravestones in cemeteries with my handheld Garmin.
I set the GPS unit on the stone and wait until it has acquired its
satellites. I take a reading. I wait 8-10 more minutes and take another
reading. Then I wait one more time 8-10 minutes and take a third
reading. The idea being that the satellites are moving around in space
with sometimes more satellites acquired than other times. After three
readings I can "average the data". Most of the time the three readings
are very close to one another with only the most minute differences.

The
downside is that mapping this way takes a long time and it is an
exercise in patience when I use student help. The upside is that I am
not out thousands of dollars for a GPS unit. Barring any interference
such as trying to take readings under tree canopies, readings next to
buildings, or readings next to extensive areas of shiny marble, most of
the time this very simple method works in cemeteries. It might work in
botanical gardens too.

Best Wishes,

Melinda Kashuba
Redding, California

In a message dated 12/14/2010 1:57:04 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,