From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:54:13 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Map collection evaluation -
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005
From: Jones, David (Library) <[log in to unmask]>
To:  MAPS-L

Hello Fellow Map Folks

[Please excuse the cross posting]

I am working with Weiwei Shi, a recently graduated librarian, on a
collection evaluation of the William C. Wonders Map Collection here at
the University of Alberta.  Our search of the literature and the web has
revealed a dearth of recent material on map collection evaluation.  The
RLG/NCIP Conspectus of the early 1990's seems to be the last time that
anyone looked at their collections in this way.

We are to look at the extent of the collection, area covered, balance of
formats, condition of materials, and also to attempt to estimate the
monetary value of the collection.  We are also very interested in
role/assessment of maps on the internet as part of the 'collection'.
This is a daunting project, but any progress will be rewarding.

Can anyone "out there' direct us to any resources that may be useful in
any of these areas?

Please reply to:

Weiwei Shi

Public Service Librarian

Science and Technology Library/Health Sciences Library

University of Alberta

Your input will be most appreciated.

David

David L. Jones, Map Librarian
William C. Wonders Map Collection
Science & Technology Library
1-26 Cameron Library
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2J8
voice  (780)492-3433     fax   (780)492-2721
e-mail   [log in to unmask]