From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James R. Carter
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 17:14:45 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:20:31 -0600
From: "James R. Carter" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: maps as icons for divisions of a college
Sender: "James R. Carter" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

Last year two geographers were involved in designing and producing the Web
pages for the College of Arts and Sciences at Illinois State University.
Mike Sublett was chair of the College Council which took on the task of
reworking the College’s page.  I got involved as director of the College
computer facility and an advisor on many web pages.

We argued over images for the three grand divisions of the College -- the
Humanities, the Social and Behavioral Sciences, and Sciences and
Mathematics.  Most people wanted a microscope to represent the sciences and
people to represent the humanities.  Mike and I argued for macroscopes for
all three divisions  maps.

We selected a single map to represent each division of the College.  A web
artist rendered the maps to an appropriate image.  I then added a page
explaining why each map was selected to represent that part of the College.

As part of Geography Awareness Week I invite everyone to check out the use
of maps to represent the diversity of a college.  Hopefully, we will start
a trend.

Dr. James R. "Jim" Carter, Professor, Geography/Geology Department
Illinois State University,  Normal, IL 61790-4400  USA
Director, Laboratory for Integrated Learning and Technology, ISU,
and President, Illinois GIS Association
      -- http://www.ilstu.edu/~jrcarter -- personal pages --
      -- http://lilt.ilstu.edu/jrcarter -- academic/research pages --

tel: (309) 438-2833    fax: (309) 438-5310    [log in to unmask]
--- End Forwarded Message ---