From:
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:21:51 EST
2 messages.-----------------Johnnie

>Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 15:17:40 -0500
>From: Pat McGlamery <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Sheepshit

One more from Connecticut.  On the Bedrock Geology map of the State of
Connecticut, there is a small black dog on "West Peak State Park."
Apparently there is a legend that the ghost of a black dog appears
there.  If you see it once, it's a warning, twice,  You've had Been
Warned, three times and you don't come back.

Patrick

Jerry Hogan wrote:

> ----------------------------Original
> message----------------------------
> I loved hearing that bit of cartographic humor about Sheepshit in
> Idaho.  It reminded me that several years ago while perusing our new
> 1992
> edition of DeLorme's Washington Atlas and Gazetteer I noticed a symbol
>
> near Mt. St. Helens, on p.33.  The symbol looked like a little cartoon
>
> Bigfoot;  and no such symbol appeared in the atlas's legend.  I wrote
> DeLorme, and they responded that it was the stamp of approval from
> their
> good-humored production department.
> Little touches like that give me hope.
> ______________________________________
> Gerard (Jerry) Hogan                  \
> CWU Library                            \
> Central Washington University           \              __@
> 400 E. 8th Ave.                          \_________  _-\<,_
> Ellensburg  WA  98926-7548               /          (_) *(_)
> phone  509-963-1961   fax 509-963-2126  /
> ______________________________________/

>Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 23:15:38 -0500
>From: fred schaff <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Sheepshit

        Don't know about the mountain under discussion but it seems that old but
indiscrete names tend to disappear.

        Example: The KOFAs in southwest Arizona at 33.19 north, 113.37 west. Now
called the KOFAs from the King Of Arizona mine once in the region. It was
originally known as the Shit House Mountains because of the resemblance of
many slanted slopes to outhouses. Later, and sometimes still, the name
became the S. H. Mountains and now, most commonly, are the KOFAs.

        Probably lots of similar examples in the USA.

Fred Schaff, Spring Grove, PA, USA,  <[log in to unmask]

"The Meek shall inherit the Earth. The Rest of Us will go to the Stars."
                John W. Campbell
                      and/or
The Meek shall inherit the Earth... but not the Mineral Rights.
                            ...J. Paul Getty