Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:21:03 EST

Courtney:

         I would trust your GPS before I'd trust a DMA/NIMA nautical chart. My
experience with NIMA is they are very careful how they deal with civilian
inquiries concerning position discrepancies; could be a trap from some hapless
mariner intent on litigation.  NIMA's official company line is that they welcome
such reports of discrepancies. Mariners (and others) can report such findings to
NIMA using the MARINE INFORMATION REPORT AND SUGGESTION SHEET tucked into the
rear of weekly NOTICE TO MARINERS; I can FAX you a blank copy if you wish.  But
my gut, unconfirmed feeling is they don't place much importance on following up
such reports from civilian mariners; I've tried myself and gotten nowhere.  U.S.
Navy position discrepancy reports carry much more weight and are likely to
result in immediate action such as a bulletin in Notice to Mariners and revised
editions of charts.  The U.S. Navy, of course, is NIMA's prime customer.
          I find it interesting that NIMA would blow you off by referring you to
National Ocean Service who in my experience rarely follows up with questions
from civilians.  You likely spoke to the wrong person at NIMA. I suggest sending
your message via e-mail thru the NIMA web page feedback site.  They are really
quite good at answering questions like this and you might luck out and find
someone to respond who likes nothing better than to chatter endlessly about
position discrepancies.
           Hope this chatter helps somehow.

- Paul Leverenz
  Library