From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Lincoln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:30:11 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 13:25:49 -0600
From: Bob Lincoln <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Query--Lake Winnipeg surveyors

I am seeking unpublished material on the surveys of Lake Winnipeg,
Manitoba, 1901-1904.  The following hydrographic surveyors were
involved:

William James Stewart (1863-1925) first Chief Hydrographer of Canada;
Frederick W. Anderson (2nd Chief Hydrographer of Canada);
R.E. (Ted) Tyrwhitt (d. May 21, 1904).

Also of interest are the following individuals:
Major John Stewart, 1st CO of the Ottawa Field Battery Militia
(William's father); Clara Louise Lasher of Kingston, Ontario who
William married in 1886; and John George Boulton, R.N. (1842-1929)
Staff Commander and surveyor on the Newfoundland Survey who hired
Stewart in 1883.  I have consulted the files on the Canadian
Hydrographic Service in the National Archives (very small), and the
hydrographic charts (very large), the annual reports of the Royal
Military College Kingston, and related archives from the Hudson's Bay
Company and the Admiralty in Tauntonm as well as the Sessional Papers.
Stewart's address was 261 Frank St. Ottawa, Ontario during the last
years of his life.

Thank you very much for reading this query.
Bob Lincoln
Collection Services Librarian
University of Manitoba Libraries
Winnipeg, MB  Canada  R3T 2N2