From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James R. Carter
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 12:02:46 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 22:21:11 -0600
From: "James R. Carter" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: on maps of Mozambique, from a colleague now there
Sender: "James R. Carter" <[log in to unmask]>

We recently had a posting about an attempt to get some maps of Mozambique.  My
colleague Paul Anderson recently returned to Mozambique.  He had been there
since August.  So, I sent him a copy of that message.  He responded with the
following, which many will find of interest.
====================
Dear Martana and map lovers.

I currently live in Maputo, Mozambique. I am a Fulbright Professor of
Geography, specialized in maps.

I know the source of MZ maps (DINAGECA) rather well, and I have no difficulty
going there to purchase topographic maps and aerial photography.

I do not recall right now the price of the maps, but I wonder how much the
"third
party" is inflating the price. We do need to acknowledge that "payment for the
service" of obtaining the maps and making them available to the end buyers is
a valid business, and I am not looking for a job, paid or otherwise.

But if I can assist in obtaining the maps, please let me know.

Martana wrote about "obtaining topographic maps at 1:250K and 1:50K
> from the government.

Yes, those are the only scales, unless you want the recent mapping of the 5
largest cities in MZ. They are from a Norway Mapping/DINAGECA project.
Based on 1996-97 aerial photography (1:10,000). Maps available at 1:25K,
1:10K, 1:5K and 1:2K, at about US$30 per sheet at DINAGECA (each is an
individual computer printout.) Also available on CD, but big money (about $500
per "sheet", and you would need about 20 to 30 digital "sheets" (1:5K) to cover

the Maputo area alone. The other 4 cities are Beira, Nampula, Quelimane, and
Pemba. 1:5k and 1:2K show individual constructions, including the poor
neighborhoods.

>Martana wrote: The pub dates range from the 70's to the 90's.

True, but most areas were mapped by the Portuguese (colonial era ended in
1975) and now the maps are reprinted with the titles changed to show the
independent country of Mozambique.

Many areas of Mozambique are mapped at 1:50K but available only as a black
and white "provisional" map. The topographic data look great, but not multi-
colored.

> I'm
> very sorry to say that I'm unsure of the number of sheets involved for
> each set. I'm assuming 1:250K would probably take about 50 sheets

There are 102 sheets at 1:250K to cover the country, but a few have little land

and are printed on an adjoining sheet. And not all are available.

> and all
> I know about the 1:50K set is that it is only partially available.

The number of sheets is about 1200, but many are not available or only
available in B/W printing.

> Each
> sheet will probably retail for about $20.00 with no set discount. Sorry
> about the high price but our cost of buying the maps is fairly high since
> we will be going through a 3rd party. I don't know of any other way of
> obtaining them though.

I hope these comments have been useful.
I can be reached via my USA e-mail address [log in to unmask] OR at
my MZ address [log in to unmask] I am living here until early July
2000. I am NOT on your listserve, so if you post anything about the MZ
maps on the listserve, please be sure a copy gets sent to me.

P.S. My research and development work here involves a method to make
large-scale maps from highly enlarged aerial photography (up to 1:1000 scale)
for local area mapping using community participation.

Sincerely,

Mapa

Paul S. Anderson [log in to unmask]
Fulbright Professor to Mozambique
Departamento de Geografia                      Note: all mail sent to
Universidade Eduardo Mondlane                [log in to unmask] is
Maputo, MZ, Africa                                  automatically forwarded.

Dr. James R. "Jim" Carter, Professor, Geography/Geology Department
Illinois State University,  Normal, IL 61790-4400  USA
Director, Laboratory for Integrated Learning and Technology, ISU,
and President, Illinois GIS Association
      -- http://www.ilstu.edu/~jrcarter -- personal pages --
      -- http://lilt.ilstu.edu/jrcarter -- academic/research pages --

tel: (309) 438-2833    fax: (309) 438-5310    [log in to unmask]
--- End Forwarded Message ---