From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:26:39 -0600
At UWM Libraries the maps that are included in the digital collection
(http://www.uwm.edu/Libraries/digilib/maps/index.html) all have been
cataloged. The relevant MARC information is transfered into
corresponding ContentDM metadata fields. ContentDM assigns a unique url
to every image and that is then put into a MARC 856 field with a
corresponding 530 note "Also available on the Internet." An additional
holding record is added to point users to the Internet link. You can see
an example of this by searching in our online catalog - PantherCat - here:

https://millib.wisconsin.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?DB=local&PAGE=First

Try this title: Justus Perthes’ Wandkarte von Afrika zur Darstellung der
Bodenbedeckung

When you're at the MARC record you can select the button "staff view" to
see the MARC fields and data. The image - or a thumbnail image - is not
part of the catalog record but I wish they were. I was just thinking
about checking with our IT people to see if something like that is
possible in our system.

We also create a holding record for the scan itself. This is a rule
established way back in 2003. It seems the way cataloging rules are
loosening up we could create an entirely separate record for the scanned
tif - but in my old fashioned mind it still seems to make sense to keep
all three versions of the same item together on one record. With that
being said, we did create OCLC records for all of our ContentDM digital
map records so when users search WorldCat for some of our maps - they'll
find our holdings for both the print record and the digital map being
hosted on our ContentDM site record. The logic is the more opportunities
a person searching has to 'hit' or find material - the more access and use.

Hope this helps and good luck!

-Angie

Angie Cope, Senior Academic Librarian
American Geographical Society Library
UW Milwaukee Libraries
2311 E. Hartford Avenue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201

http://www.uwm.edu/Libraries/AGSL/index.html
Hours: M-F 8:00am-4:30pm
(414)229-6282 / (800)558-8993 (US TOLL FREE) / (414)229-3624 (FAX)
43°03'8"N 87°57'21"W