From:
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:29:12 EDT
This message is from C. Denise Stephens.--------Johnnie

>Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 16:58:19 -0400 (EDT)
>From: C Denise Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ann/Johnnie Please Post:ALA GIS Program Reminder (fwd)

Greetings.

THIS MESSAGE IS CROSS-POSTED ON MULTIPLE LISTS.  PLEASE FOREGIVE ANY
DUPLICATION

The LITA Geographic Information Systems Interest Group (GISIG) is pleased
to sponsor the following Program during the ALA Annual Meeting:

SOCIAL RESEARCH & GIS - APPLICATIONS FOR THE LIBRARY

This program addresses the dominance of Social Sciences research in
emerging GIS-related library services.  It will discuss real GIS
applications designed to treat social inquiry.  Taking a practical
approach, our presenters will lead the audience through real project
elements and outcomes.  You will be introduced to HOW data, tables, and
software come together to answer geographically-oriented questions likely
to surface in today's library.

PRESENTERS:

        Angela Lee, Enviornmental Systems Research Institute(ESRI)
        Topic: "Is Pollution Color Blind? Using GIS to Examine the
           Distribution of TRI Sites".

        Phillip D. Troutman, Fellow, Carter G. Woodson Institute,
           University of Virginia.
        Topic: "Mapping Historical Change: Linking GIS and Database
           Technology".

DATE:  Sunday, June 28
TIME:  9:30-12:30 (we'll try to adjourn by 12 noon)
LOCATION:  Holiday Inn Capitol, Clark Room

We look forward to seeing you there!

Denise Stephens
Coordinator, Information & Access Services
Science & Engineering Libraries
University of Virginia
Clark Hall
Charlottesville, VA  22903-2498