From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:00:23 -0600
Subject:        Metsker's copyright status?
Date:   Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:55:01 -0800
From:   Jon Jablonski <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Does anyone know who the current owner's of Chas F Metsker's copyrights are?

I just spoke with a very nice guy at the Metsker Maps store in Seattle.
 Thomas & Charles apparently dismantled their empire a number of years
ago and sold off the publishing and retailing arms separately.  The
Seattle store is last vestige of the retail end of things.  They said
the maps seem to be in limbo, as the person who was running the
publishing arm of things (from somewhere near Tacoma) has fallen off the
map, so to speak.

David Rumsey has posted online at least a few county sheet maps.  I'm
hoping to digitize our county atlases in a GIS-compatible format.
Unfortunately, I think Mr. Rumsey has better access to counsel than I do.

Jon R. Jablonski                          541-346-3051
Associate Professor
David & Nancy Petrone MAP/GIS Librarian
University of Oregon Libraries