From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:42:57 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: MAPS-L: Academic libraries empty stacks for online centers
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005
From: Joel Kovarsky <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

One wonders if your judgement, though understandable, isn't a bit
premature and harsh. After all, paper, books, printing press, radio,
television, etc. were all major reformers in their time. And even when
reading the controversial article, there is still reference to the
physical collection moved elsewhere, hence maintenance of the concept of
book as object, not necessarily just an intellectual reference source.
There was no indication of UT dismantling special collections, etc. As
to the flood of information, well...

              Joel Kovarsky