From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennie Dienes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 17:07:46 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 14:14:42 -0600
From: Jennie Dienes <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: Places in Czech Republic  and  Ukraine or Russia

To helpful colleagues:
     I have two patrons who are working on their family genealogy.

The patron needing help with Czech places is looking for the following:
  Valovice; Brezovice; Vrbova; Vosecek; Ottersdorfe; and Bakovnik.
I have checked our assortment of gazetteers and have found only Brezovice and
possibly Vrbova.  For Valovice the longitude does not seem right.
    I checked our card catalog for the extra gazetteer listed in the front of
the Board on Geographic names volume on Czechoslovakia but our library does not
have any of them.

For the second patron: He is looking for a place called Walfiljewo, correctly
spelled as of 1905.  It is supposed to be a German village noted in an 80-year
old letter.  He thought it might be in the Volga/Don region, but with the "wo"
on the end of the name, I'd guess it would be somewhere in southern Ukraine
where there were also German settlements.

I hope someone can give me some new ideas.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jennie Dienes
T.R. Smith Map Collection
103 Anschutz Library