From:
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1993 15:30:45 EDT
This message is from David McQuillan at USC (Carolina).-----Johnnie

------------------------------------

              "David C. McQuillan"  <[log in to unmask]>
              18 Jun 93 12:30:27 EDT
              Re: Global Explorer

We purchased Global Explorer as soon as it was offered in March and
our patrons have been using it since.  We have found that the lower
set of icons are no problem for patrons, things like regional and
world area maps and the magnitude buttons.  The problem comes in
using the place and category section.  They are confused by the 2
"go" buttons and how to get the place they want displayed in the
place text box.  Most find it easier to draw a box around the area
they want and enlarge the map that way.  Also there is no directional
compass as on Street Atlas to reposition your image without stepping
back on the magnitude, although you can change the center point.
This may just be a matter of becoming more familiar with the program.
There lies the problem for our patrons.  We can become adept at using
the program, but our patrons may only need it one time.  That is more
a staffing problem, to take time to create a map for someone, rather
than they doing it for themselves.
On the whole we and our patrons have been very pleased with Global
Explorer.  Where else can you get a page-size map of Tahiti?  It is
part of France and World Atlas or PC Globe do not offer anything more
than a general map of the Pacific.  The printouts from our HP
Paintjet from this program have also been well received by students.
They appreciate having some indication of topography on the maps.
Professors in the Geography Department have begun making assignments
using Global Explorer and we have had several inquiries as to what
was needed to run the program and where it might be purchased.  A
recent group of school teachers in a National Geographic Society
sponsorer institute thought Global Explorer would be an appropriate
CD to purchase for their schools.  These were teachers in elementary,
middle, and high schools.
Based on the response we have had from our patrons, I would recommend
that Global Explorer be strongly considered for addition to your
mapping programs.

>                Fri, 18 Jun 1993 11:16:26 EDT
>                Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
>                Erik Antelman <[log in to unmask]>
>                Multiple recipients of list MAPS-L <[log in to unmask]>

> > We have "Global Explorer" here at NYPL.  It is pretty good.  It has
> > a ton of information and is relatively easy to use.  It is for the
> > computer literate, though.   I would not recommend it to some one who
> > doesnot enjoy using computers or has a hard time with them.
> > --CJJThiry [log in to unmask]
>
> I am thrilled to see someone using GEX (Our familiar term for Global
> Explorer). I noticed your at a library, is GEX used by patrons and if
> so how well do they interact with it? What are your thaughts?
>
> In general, to the entire MAPS-L community, what are peoples
> experiences with digital geographic products. Especially I am
> interested in education and environmental modelling.
> [log in to unmask] - The opions expressed here are totally my own.

 David C. McQuillan
Map Librarian
Map Library
University of South Carolina