From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:56:10 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L
Date: April 13, 2005
From: USGS
Subject: new USGS Homepage www.usgs.gov

----- Forwarded by John C Fouke/NMD/USGS/DOI on 04/13/2005 01:21 PM -----

In an effort to make our Web presence more robust and dynamic, the Office
of Communications and Geographic Information Office are pleased to
announce that we are launching a new USGS Homepage today.  We have many
exciting stories to tell and this new version brings science and
information to the forefront.

As a use of our Web site, we wanted to call your attention to the
following new features which we hope you will find useful.

·       Science in Your State – Serves as a gateway to USGS state-based
information.  While we are starting with this template, we plan to work
with folks in the disciplines and regions to add additional information
and broaden the scope of this effort.

·       Latest Publications - This feature is being dynamically driven
directly from the USGS Pubs Warehouse as new publications are added.

·       Science Features - Provides an opportunity to feature projects,
programs and activities and allow visitors to delve deeper into our
science.

·       Real-Time Information – Provides easy access to information on
earthquakes, water resources and volcanoes.

·       Geographic Information Systems - Allows greater access to some of
our most prominent geospatial information and data.

·       Frequently Asked Questions -  Is a dynamically driven from the FAQ
database maintained by the Natural Sciences Network.

·       Fact of the Day – Provides an opportunity for visitors to learn
fun facts about the USGS, earth and biological sciences.

·       About USGS -  We have reorganized information featured in the
previous About USGS, making it easier to learn more about who we are, what
we do and how we are organized.

·       Science Topics – Provides visitors an alternative way to browse
our many USGS science programs and activities.  Users also have the option
of using the traditional discipline avenue.

·       USGS Calendar – Features information about upcoming open houses,
public lectures, conferences, tradeshows and other events taking place
across the landscape.

·       Partnerships – This page is a temporary placeholder for a much
more robust portal featuring information about USGS partnerships.

·       Newsroom – Provides a new look and feel to view the latest press
releases and other information that may be of interest to the news media.