From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 07:41:18 -0500
Subject:        British Library - Curator of Topography
Date:   Fri, 12 May 2006 10:57:25 +0100
From:   Ravinder Panesar <[log in to unmask]>
To:     MAPS-L

Curator of Topography
Fixed-term for one year
£19,835 - £22,921 + benefits
St Pancras, London

The British Library gives access to the world?s knowledge and supports
learning opportunities for everyone. Our curatorial and management
expertise is recognised internationally. Dedicated and creative, our teams
work together to shape and deliver the most comprehensive range of library
services in the world. All of us are committed to ensuring that we have
the skills and infrastructure we need to support everyone who can benefit
from the British Library.

The British Library, Britain's national library and a world leader in
cartographic collections and research, has an exciting opportunity for a
Curator of Topography in its Map Collections, the Library?s centre for
locational/cartographic information.

The British Library holds the largest single topographical resource in the
United Kingdom and one of the largest in Europe. The Curator of Topography
will develop a database of bibliographies listing books etc. with
topographical views and investigate the completeness of the British
Library?s holdings in this regard, with a view to compiling a database of
these topographical holdings. You will help develop a project to make this
material more accessible to the Library?s readers and external customers,
undertaking tasks that raise the profile of the British Library in this
field both nationally and internationally. You would also contribute to
planning for digitisation of topographical images.

An honours degree in the history of art, history or geography, or an
equivalent, a general familiarity with British landscape art since 1500
and at least one year?s experience in a research environment are
essential. Additionally, an interest in cartography and experience in
automated library cataloguing to international standards is desirable.
Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills, enthusiasm, the
ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and the ability to take
activities and projects to completion are required.

You will be expected to play an active role in the Map Collections team
for which training will be provided.

To view the job profile, visit http://www.bl.uk/about/pdf/curattopog.pdf

For an application pack and further details on how to apply, please
contact People Media Response on 020 7420 2080 or email
[log in to unmask] quoting reference VM040706.

Further information is also available from www.bl.uk/about/vacancies.html

The deadline for applications is Friday, 16 June 2006.

The Library has a strong competency-based performance management programme
that encourages the highest standards of service innovation and
professional development.

The British Library is an Equal Opportunities employer. We recognise the
benefit of employing a diverse workforce. All applicants are considered on
the basis of their merits and suitability for the job and all disabled
applicants who meet the minimum criteria will be invited for interview.