From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 14:36:09 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Canadian Geologic maps
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:28:05 -0600 (MDT)
From: Thiry <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps-l <[log in to unmask]>

All,

I am getting all our Canadian geological maps in order.  I want to figure
out which maps were issued separately and which were issued with other
publications.

Questions/Problems:
Regarding the "A" series (those maps whose numbers end with an "A"): when
did this become an independent series?  Is it an independent series?  As
recently as the mid 1980's, the A maps were published as parts of the
Memoirs and "Papers" series.  However, some A maps seem to be published
separately.  Do I have this correct?  If they were published both ways, is
there a way to distinguish which is which?

Regarding the geologic maps from early in the 1900's: Were these ever
published separately, or were they only meant to accompany Memoirs, Annual
Reports, and Summary Reports?

Finally, is there a master publication index (not a searchable database,
but a list) of all the Canadian geological maps?  The index maps done in
the late 1970's and early 1980's help.  Ideally I would love to find a
cross-listed index; one that has a list of the "A" maps and then says
which Memoir, etc. it is in, and visa versa.  While GEOSCAN
(http://ess.nrcan.gc.ca/esic/geoscan_e.php) is good, but not easy to use
for this project.

--Christopher JJ Thiry
Map Librarian