Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1993 14:17:23 EDT
For MAPS_-L

In answer to Chalene's inquiry about the breaking apart of a Map Library's
collections,  I have never heard or read anything about a similar situation
during my 30 years as a Map Library.  I have seen attempts at spliting a
collection in two along the lines of science and social science, or "modern"
and historical.  This inevitably has resulted in duplication of materials
and staff time plus unnecessary expense.  I have never even heard of anyone
in an academic library discussing such a re-organization as is purposed
at the University of Arizona.  After all what sane person would believe that
a "research level" library would be stupid enough to make such a ridiculous
move?  It's unfortunate that the faculty and students will be the loser's
in this experiment, which is really a retrograde action to the fifties.

When I arrived at the University of FLorida the depository maps were housed
in a small room on a separate floor from the Undergraduate Reference Dept.,
who were supposed to service it.  The staff uniformly hated to get map
questions and half the time they had to leave an area unattended to get an
answer for the person.  Granted only a part of the collection was cataloged,
but the DMA maps which were cataloged provided the most problems. Also, the
book materials never seemed to be in the area of library were they were
needed.

Additionally there was an enormous amount of maps stolen.  Also atlases
had numerous maps removed under less that adequate security.
Maps which were circulated through the Circulation Dept. were prime targets
for damage and thift.
The faculty from numerous departments were so vocal about the lack of
KNOWLEDGABLE service, that a senior level map librarian was hired in 1973 to
bring all the cartographic materials togather in one place and administer
their acquisition, cataloging, maintance, and most importantly reference
service.  The Librarians and the faculty could not wait to get away from
the former system!  Twenty years later they still tell stories about the
bad old days.
When I think about how the labor intensive CDROM products whould have
complicated this issue further, I shutter.  I only can wish you and your
library's patrons the best of luck, you are going to need all you can get.

HelenJane Armstrong, University of Florida Map & Imagery Library.