Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 10:02:10 EST
Yael,

I can give you only a partial answer to your question.
In her latest progress-report 1992-1994 concerning France,
Monique Pelletier (Director Department of Maps and Plans of the
Bibliotheque Nationale de France) writes:

"Dans le cadre des travaux de la Commission Nationale de
Toponymie du Conseil National de l'Information Geographique
(CNIG), une reflexion francophone (France et Quebec) est en cours
sur la structure des donnees concernant les toponymes. Seront
notamment prises en compte les solutions adoptees pour la base
BN-Opaline"

If I remember right a geographic name list has been prepared in
cooperation amongst others between the Bibliotheque Nationale de
France and IGN (Institut Geographique Nationale) which contains
the names of all 36,000 communes, which includes also all
historical entries. The Geographic names thesaurus op BN-Opaline
contains appr. 215,000 entries. I advise you to contact Monique
Pelletier directly:

Bibliotheque Nationale de France
Departement des Cartes et Plans
58, Rue Richelieu
F-75084 Paris CEDEX 02
tel: +33-1-47038369
(unfortunately no e-mail)

In Belgium the situation is not known. This may also be dependent
on the new federal structure which inhibits partly cooperation.
However, also here I advise you to contact:

IGN (Institut Geographique National)
K. van Doren
Abbaye de la Cambre 13
B-1050 Bruxelles
tel: +32-2-6486480

Jan Smits
Mapcurator Royal Library, National Library of The Netherlands