From:
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 1994 10:39:10 EST
This message is from HelenJane Armstrong.------------Johnnie

              Fri, 28 Jan 94 12:25:25 EST
              ALA Annual Meeting Hotels

For MAPS-L

For those of you who have not yet made your reservations for ALA Annual
Convention in Miami Beach, I have some additional information from the
local arrangement people which might be helpful.  The following is a list
of hotels which tenatively are Meeting sites.  As of yet specific meeting
rooms have not been assigned to events.  To save time I have listed the
number of the hotel as it appears in the ALA Annual Conference-Hotels listing
in the Jan., 1994 issue of American Libraries.  The sites are #1, 4,5,7,9,15,
17,18,22,26,27,29,32,& 34.  The Ritz Plaza is not listed in Am. Libraries but
it is on the meeting site list.  Additionally #22 is the Hyatt Regency Miami it
is adjacent to the Knight Convention Center (Miami) which will be the site of
a number of meetings.  Of the six hotels April mentioned, 4 of them will be
meeting sites and thus close to or on the bus routes.

For those of you who have not made your reservations please do so as soon as
possible.  Despite what the rumors have been there evidently are alot of
people planning on attending the convention, if sold out hotels are any
indication.  I phoned as soon as I received the issue and discovered that at
least 5 of my choices were already completely filled including the
Fontainebleau Hilton with over 1000 rooms.  This was a week ago and the Doral
and Eden Roc were almost filled at that time.  If you have to be in Miami in-
stead of Miami Beach try for the Hyatt Regency-Miami or the Omni International.

Now if you are in doubt about attending the convention consider if you would
be afraid to attend a conference in New York City or Los Angeles.  Miami is
just like any other big city.  If you are in the Convention and Hotel area
things should be alright if you keep alert.  Like most other big cities things
change quickly away from these areas.  You need to keep aware of the neighbor-
hood which can change block by block again like New York or Chicago.  For
instances one wouldn't walk around downtown Miami at night but would between
tourist hotels on Miami Beach.

The crime there seems to get more national coverage than other big cities.  We
speculate that part of this is because it contrasts radically with the ocean,
beaches and palm trees instead of gray skies and garbage littered streets of
New York.  Unfortunately tourists and natives have both been mugged or killed
in Miami.  While it is tragic at the same time these occurances are only a
few of the millions who safely visit the area each year.  Again every big
city has these tragdies--remember the Utah Tourist stabbed on the NY Subway?

Also when making your decision remember that Miami Beach is usually much
safer than Miami and is tourist oriented.  You can have alot of fun there and
the food is terrific-----and of course there is the BEACH!!!

Finally, while the Univ. of Florida is located 6 hours away from Miami, I
have been to several conferences there in the last few years.  My experiences
were positive as was the feedback from geographers who attended the As. of
Am. Geographers meetings.  I too, prefer Miami Beach!
Hopefully the shortening of the meetings will not result in less
chances for the librarians to attend the exhibits and will not prevent
what should be an enjoyable time in an interesting and multicultural area.

While I can't guarantee everyone will have a wonderful convention in Miami
Beach, I hope this information will be helpful.
Dr. HelenJane Armstrong, Map & Imagery Library University of Florida.