From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 13:38:20 -0500
Subject:        RE: MAPS-L: off-site map collections
Date:   Wed, 7 Jun 2006 12:25:14 -0600
From:   Kathryn Lage <[log in to unmask]>
To:     'Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum' <[log in to unmask]>

Hi John,

We recently sent all of our non-Colorado DMA 1:50,000 sets offsite. We are
still in the implementation stages, so I don't have much to tell you about
how it's working. We scanned the indexes (with our holdings marked) and plan
to put them up on the web, linked from the catalog record, so patrons can
choose the sheet they need.

One of the hurdles for this project was that all the maps we sent offsite
needed to be cataloged, of course. That took a while. These sets were very
rarely used and moving them offsite has given us some much-needed space. We
did have to work with the folks at the offsite storage facility on the
storage and shipping details. We ended up sending the maps in archival
boxes, which will be stored on the few oversize shelves available in the
facility. We sent map tubes to the offsite storage folks so they can send
the maps back.

We haven't yet decided if we want the maps sent back to the library for
in-house use or if they can be sent directly to the patron.

Hope this information helps.

Katie

Katie Lage
Map Librarian
University of Colorado at Boulder
Jerry Crail Johnson Earth Sciences & Map Library
184 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309
Phone: 303-735-4917 FAX: 303-735-4879
http://ucblibraries.colorado.edu/map/