From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2010 10:06:49 -0500
Subject:        Re: GIS Literacy vs. Geospatial Literacy
Date:   Fri, 09 Apr 2010 10:59:46 -0400
From:   Kim H. Edwin <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Air Photo GIS Forum - Map Librarianship Maps <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Angie,

Unfortunately, it is necessary to decide exactly to what GIS refers.
I've seen it used for Geographic Information System(s) & also for
Geographic Information Science & less often to Geospatial Information
Systems (or Science). Perhaps this illustrates a need for a thesaurus
specific for this discipline. Any suggestions?

After deciding upon GIS or GeoSpatial (I've also seen Geo-Spatial)
Literacy, a useful resource which is very much on the way of setting
standards is the "Geographic Information Science & Technology Body of
Knowledge" from UCGIS, published by AAG. This outlines the Analytical
Methods, Cartography & Visualization, Conceptual Foundations, Data
Modeling, Design Aspects, Data Manipulation, GeoComputation, GIS & T &
Society, Organizational & Institutional Aspects, and Geospatial Data.

Kim Edwin

Kim Edwin,
Library of Congress,
Geography & Map Division
202-707-8514

Disclaimer: Referenced facts & opinions are not necessarily of the
Library of Congress.

>>> Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]> 4/9/2010 10:34 AM >>>
Before we go too far afield ... I want to clarify that I'm referring
geospatial literacy in terms of the ACRL standards for information
literacy and how they apply to geospatial information. Here are the
standards:

 From Wikipedia:
In 2000, the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), a
division of the American Library Association (ALA), released
"Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education",
describing five standards and numerous performance indicators
considered
best practices for the implementation and assessment of postsecondary
information literacy programs. The five standards are:

    * Standard One: The information literate student determines the
nature and extent of the information needed.
    * Standard Two: The information literate student accesses needed
information effectively and efficiently.
    * Standard Three: The information literate student evaluates
information and its sources critically and incorporates selected
information into his or her knowledge base and value system.
    * Standard Four: The information literate student, individually or
as a member of a group, uses information effectively to accomplish a
specific purpose.
    * Standard Five: The information literate student understands many
of the economic, legal, and social issues surrounding the use of
information and accesses and uses information ethically and legally.

These standards are meant to span from the simple to more complicated,
or in terms of Bloom's Taxonomy of Educational Objectives, from the
"lower order" to the "higher order". Lower order skills would involve
for instance being able to use an online catalog to find a book
relevant
to an information need in an academic library. Higher order skills
would
involve critically evaluating and synthesizing information from
multiple
sources into a coherent interpretation or argument.
-end-

-a-