From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2009 15:06:44 -0500
Subject:        Re: nautical chart practices
Date:   Mon, 11 May 2009 12:03:58 -0800
From:   John Kawula <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Good question. We still haven't resolved it yet. Our situation is that
we want to retain Alaska nauticals, file them as a state thematic
series and not have to mess much with descriptions. My experience is
that patrons know the sheet number they want or rely on the visual
index. Descriptive cataloging for the individual sheets is not
productive.

I e-mailed GPO a while back suggesting they create a catalog record
for each of the nine regions. Then the catalog records would correlate
with the shipments they send via the FDLP program. People could simply
upload the record(s) for the GPO item number(s) they select.
Well---they never answered the e-mail. My guess is this is a NIH (Not
Invented Here) matter and they don't want someone outside their domain
making suggestions no matter how logical or practical the suggestions
might be.

Then I suggested to our state library that they create a single
catalog record for Alaska nauticals as they have a lot of nauticals
themselves. They refused saying they want the descriptions for each
sheet.

So I had our cataloging unit (that only gets around to maps every now
and then) create a very simple record and my clerical staff will bar
code and list the sheet numbers and dates under a single searchable
contents note. Hopefully my staff and student assistant will get to
this project this summer.

John Kawula
Government Documents and Maps Librarian
University of Alaska Fairbanks