From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2011 08:11:57 -0500
Subject: RE:  Using maps for research (UNCLASSIFIED)
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 07:41:39 -0500
From: Hadden, Robert L AGC <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>
CC: <[log in to unmask]>

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Hi Michael!
        In addition to the usual stuff, it is also helpful for researchers,
such as disaster response engineers, to use older and a more variety of
different kinds of maps. After an earthquake in Yogyakarta, Indonesia, for
example, a mobile hospital was sent in by the US Marines. They needed a flat
space where they can put up the hospital tents, set up a supply dump,
helicopter pads, and the site was needed to be near supplies of fresh water,
easy road communication, and yet can be defended if the crowds panic or
looters attack. They also need to be out of the danger zones in case the
nearby volcano erupts, and safe from ash flows that could come downhill.
        The flat places can be clearly seen through aerial photography,
satellite imagery, and other resources. However, to make sure this is
not the
backyard of a temple, or a cemetery without tombstones, or a rice paddy that
will be flooded tomorrow, they needed street maps, population maps and other
geographic data. They also needed information about past ash flows from
eruptions, ground shaking hazards and other geological maps. They needed
information on water supplies and hydrological maps as well. They needed
information from soil maps for soil mechanics and load bearing capabilities.
The street maps will also give guidance on locating transportation choke
points, security areas and cultural treasures.
        Text data is also needed. For example, if this city needed to be
evacuated, evacuation plans not only need fuel supplies for trucks, cars and
motorcycles; but also feed for mules, donkeys and other transportation
animals. Food supplies will be needed along the evacuation route not
only for
people, but also for livestock animals as well, such as cattle, pigs and
chickens. Geological and geographical reports, many scanned and placed
online, also needed to be posted.
        Some examples of the different kinds of maps used during the Java
Island earthquake response and the Mt. Merapi volcano threat can be seen at:
http://www.agc.army.mil/Merapi/index.html

Lee Hadden

R. Lee Hadden, BA, BS, MLS
Geospatial Information Library (Map Library)
Army Geospatial Center
7701 Telegraph Road
Alexandria, VA 22315
(703) 428-9206

"Shaving my head for bald kids with cancer" See:
http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/Hadden