From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kent D. Lee
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 16:14:53 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 14:17:19 -0500
From: "Kent D. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: re: FW: USA NATIONAL ATLAS ONLINE <fwd>
Sender: "Kent D. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
To: Linda Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: John Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>

For posting to Maps-L
RE:  Vendor repackaging of public-domain data

Dear Linda, and all,

As one of the vendors who lurks on this list, I have a few words I would like to share on this subject:

First, I want to thank the organizers of Maps-L for letting vendors "lurk" and even participate at all.  Not all library group listserves allow such open subscription.  (I have asked for years to be included on the Slav-Lib (Slavic Librarian) equivalent of this forum, but to date vendors are not welcome.)  IMHO, vendor participation is important, especially in niche areas like maps and Russian publications, because without it I think there is less of an opportunity to mitigate the tension that sometimes characterizes the library/publisher or library/distributor relationship.  Dialogue is important, even if us vendors have motives at least partially based on the seeking of profit.

Second, I have not explored in detail the National Atlas web site, nor its commercial variant.  So I do not know anything about the pricing or other commercial conditions.  But I don't think this is important, since Linda's question itself is more generic.

These days more and more publications of all kinds are being "born digital."  Vendors--US vendors in particular because of the nature of copyright law on USG-produced publications--have a long history of taking public domain data, adding value, otherwise repackaging it, and then selling it or somehow making money from it.  Two interesting examples are DeLorme's state atlas series, and MapQuest's own Internet site.  In the former case, I do not think that DeLorme went out and re-surveyed entire states--it seems that they took USGS maps, "repackaged them," added value in a number of ways, vastly improved distribution and convenience, and have made quite a nice profit.  With MapQuest (and similar sites, in fact), they have obviously used Tiger and other public data as a core component of their database.  They then repackaged in via an easy-to-use and pretty convenient interface, and furthermore made it free to end users by utilizing a business model based on generating ad revenues from Internet banner ads.

It seems to me that the same thing is going on with the National Atlas.  As increasingly more powerful public domain GIS datasets are born digital, there will be increasing opportunities for vendors to ingest them, add value, and spit out (whoops-careful with the direction of that metaphor!) new and maybe even superior publications.  Of course, being private publishers, they will probably claim copyright for the value-added aspects, and I can see how this would not sit well with many in the library community--or even in the USGS or other public sector area.  But why is this bad?  If a better product has been created, what is wrong?  If the vendor overprices it or is making "too much" profits, you can be sure that Company B will emerge, download the same source data set, slap on a new, improved interface or add other value, and lower the price.  It's the American way, no?

In the old days when public domain data was mostly paper-based, the barriers to entry for private would-be value-adders was higher.  In the digital age, the barriers are much lower.  I think we will all be better off by the new and innovative products that will emerge.  In the meantime I hope that public-domain data will not disappear or have restrictions slapped on them just because the private sector takes advantage of their existence.  Where such data are being produced as a part of government doing its normal work, I don't think there is much of a threat to such restrictions.  Maybe in other areas--for example, some government agencies may engage in in a kind of vanity publishing activity and then feel offended when a commercial operation swoops by and steals its thunder--I can imagine feelings being hurt.

Anyways, my thoughts.

Kent D. Lee
President/CEO
East View Cartographic