From:
Carolyn Sautter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 2020 13:24:43 +0000
Special Collections Cataloging and Metadata Librarian

Musselman Library, Gettysburg College

Gettysburg College’s Musselman Library invites a librarian with experience describing primary sources and rare materials to join our Special Collections & College Archives department. Our library is a dynamic organization where every staff member makes a difference. We serve an increasingly diverse liberal arts community of 2,600 undergraduate students, including 22% first-generation college students and over 18% Pell Grant recipients. We recognize that excellence cannot be achieved without diversity, and we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that offers students and colleagues richly varied perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. This librarian will play a significant role in connecting today’s learners with our historical materials.

Special Collections and College Archives collects, houses, and preserves historical manuscripts, College records, rare books, maps, photographs, posters, art, oral histories, and other original materials. Our physical and digital collections are growing exponentially as are the numbers of students and faculty members working with primary sources for classes and exhibits. Core duties include original and complex copy cataloging and the creation of enhanced metadata to improve the discovery of our collections locally, nationally, and internationally.

Our Cataloging and Metadata Librarian will:

• Catalog and provide authority control for Special Collections & College Archives

• Establish and document best practices for primary source cataloging and metadata creation for new collections

• Assist archival staff in implementing recommended practices for local call numbers and labeling of  archival collections

• Provide research assistance at our Special Collections Reading Room desk as needed including one evening shift a week

• Collaborate with staff  to design LibGuides to support archival research

• Follow trends in the effective description of cultural objects and archival materials

• Train staff members, interns, and student workers in cataloging and metadata best practices

• Advise on library cataloging projects involving controlled vocabularies and tagging

• Promote the use of collections and public history efforts through effective description

• Serve as a liaison to one or more departments on campus

• Participate in the activities of library committees, as needed

• Take part in continuing education/professional development opportunities

This librarian reports to the Director of Special Collections & College Archives.

Gettysburg College seeks candidates who have the communication skills and cross-cultural abilities to maximize their effectiveness with diverse groups of students, colleagues, and community members. Interest in creating an inclusive campus community, working with underserved populations, and a strong commitment to the liberal arts college experience is expected. The salary is competitive and is complemented with a comprehensive benefits package.

Qualifications

Required:

• Master's degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA-accredited program (or equivalent accreditation outside the U.S.) by anticipated start date of July 1, 2020

• Experience in performing original and complex copy cataloging of primary sources and books

• Working knowledge of library bibliographic services (such as OCLC Connexion), integrated library systems (such as Alma/Primo), and metadata content managers (such as CONTENTdm)

Expected:

• Familiarity with AACR2r, RDA, LCSH, LC classification, MARC 21, Dublin Core (or other metadata schemas used by libraries and archives)

• High degree of initiative and flexibility

• Strong service orientation and the ability to interact positively with students, faculty, and the public, as well as demonstrated commitment to participating in and building an inclusive, equitable, and diverse campus community

Preferred:

• Experience in training colleagues in national cataloging standards and best practices for metadata creation

• Demonstrated ability to develop efficient cataloging/metadata workflows including quality control for larger cataloging and digital projects

Application materials must be received by March 27, 2020. Anticipated start date is July 1, 2020.

Please visit our website to submit application materials through our online hiring system: http://gettysburg.peopleadmin.com/postings/3396

Gettysburg College, an equal opportunity employer, complies with all applicable federal, state, local laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and admission. The College prohibits discrimination and harassment, and provides equal opportunity without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital/familial status, possession of a General Education Development Certificate (GED) as compared to a high school diploma, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, sex, age, or genetic information in all aspects of employment, educational programs, activities, and admissions. Pursuant to Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972, Gettysburg College prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex (i.e., which includes but is not limited to the prohibition of sexual misconduct and relationship violence, including sexual assault and harassment) in all of its educational programs and activities.